Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Some Interior Details

I thought I would share some pictures of a few of the interesting details around the interior of the house.

Door hardware. All of the doors have their original hardware. I love the patina.

Matching lifts on the first floor windows.

Ceiling light in the living room. I have no idea of its age.

Door stop. I need to reattach a couple of them, but all are accounted for.

Latch on one of the dormer windows. One of them is missing its ring, but all of the windows are painted shut, unfortunately.

If a dormer window could open, this chain would hold it open. All 4 of the windows have them.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Look at the Exterior

Here's a few pictures of the exterior of the house.

A full shot of the house

The front (of course)

The west side, looking towards the ravine

The east side and the backyard

The view from the front porch

Nelsonville Block bricks are ubiquitous around Ohio University, our alma mater, so I think it's pretty cool that we have a few along the front of the house

Monday, May 7, 2007

More Post-Painting Pictures

By popular demand here are some more pictures of the freshly painted house.

All 16 feet of bookcases and mantle.

The back bedroom

The middle bedroom

The front bedroom

Here is what was under the carpet

Next time, exterior photos!

Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Weekend of Painting

We just finished 3 days of painting 6 of the 7 rooms in the house. Fortunately, we had lots of help from both my mom and sister, so everything went relatively smoothly. There was a bit of worry that the paint in the living room wasn't going to work out, but once the second coat was on everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Here are some before-and-after pictures.

The living room before:

The living room after:

The dining room (with the kitchen and living room in the background) before:

The dining room after (with new light fixture, too):

I didn't take any pictures of the rooms upstairs, but the changes there are just as dramatic as those downstairs. We also removed carpet from the upstairs, so that means several days of staple pulling ahead. Messy work but at least the floors have been liberated!